Thursday 18 February 2016

2016 Goals

Better late than never, eh?

Today I'm here with my slightly (very!) belated goals for 2016. I can't believe we're over halfway through February already! Where is this year going???

I've sort-of been gently working towards these goals anyway, but there's something satisfying about putting them in a concrete list and holding myself accountable to them (or at least trying to!). Who knows!? Maybe I'll even achieve some of them! :P

Anyway, without further ado, here they are!


1. Love Reading

Since this is almost exclusively a bookish blog, I thought I'd start with the most book-related goal of this year. Last year I read a grand total of 28 books (I think... It might've been even less!), and, while I'm excusing myself a little because of doing finals and getting a degree and whatnot, I can't deny the fact that I find that number kinda disappointing.

But I need to keep reminding myself that 2015 brought me some of my new favourite books of all time! I had a blast reading those books and I learned so much about myself and my tastes and just the fact that books that good can exist!

So this year my only goal when it comes to reading is as follows:

I'm jolly well going to enjoy it!

2. Narrow it down

Or, to put it another way: focus focus focus! There are loads of things I'd like to work on this year. Learn Dutch, read the bible more, get better at writing, do more regular blog posts, be better with money, exercise and play Frisbee more, work out what I want to do with my life, etc etc etc.

But, while it would be great to be able to do all those things, it's definitely more realistic and achievable to narrow it down so I don't get overwhelmed. I'm not exactly sure how this will look in practice yet, but I'm working on it!

3. Work on being, not doing

A friend put someone's words of advice to her on Facebook recently, and I'm going to repeat them here:

"It's more important who you are than what you do or what you make."

This year I'm going to take that to heart.

4. Be OK with not knowing

I've already written the beginnings of a whole post dedicated to this, but here it is now anyway. Uncertain has been the key word to describe my life post-graduation, and my capacity to mentally deal with it is next to nil.

This one's gonna take time folks! But I'm going to try and put my thoughts on this to paper. I'm hoping that, over time, I'll be able to see my growth and it'll make me more positive about the future.

*****

So there you have it! My goals for the year. I hope you will forgive the lateness of this post, but hey! Lateness is not one of the things I'm gonna work on this year ;)

What are some of your goals for this year? Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. These are great goals! Good reading trumps lots of reading any way you slice it. And I hear you on focusing on the now rather than the later - my life has been crazy since late last year and will be in flux later this year (grad school!), but I don't want to let that totally dominate the time in between.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I agree :) it's still a struggle to convince my brain when it sees loads of people's 'yay I read 100 books' posts, but really enjoying reading and experiencing it your own way is all that matters :)

      Here's to focussing on the now!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like 2015 was a busy year! 28 books isn't a bad number at all. Some years will be like that. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It was indeed a busy year! But a great reading year despite the number. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...